May 6, 2018
A photo contest telling the story of immigrants in our community
To highlight the diversity and strength of our community, “The Immigrant Story” is hosting a photography contest to address an issue that is prevalent in our country today: xenophobia. The contest, open from February 1 through May 6, 2018, welcomes submissions of photographs that depict the stories of immigrants who have added to our diverse cultural landscape.
We are a nation of many immigrants and ethnicities built by the beautiful tapestry of different identities and cultures woven together. The current climate in our nation and events this past year have reminded us that many of our neighbors continue to face prejudice.
Through visual stories of immigrants, whether first generation, second or 10th, we see the hopes and dreams that we all share for ourselves and our families and the things that bind us as a community and a nation.
By humanizing the immigration issue, learning something about the individuals whose journeys brought them to the United States, we hope to add to the empathy and understanding we have for each other. This, in turn, will help heal and bring our community together.
A final selection of photos will be made in May and will be exhibited at Pro Photo Supply in June 2018. There will be a community event at Pro Photo with speakers from different cultural community groups. A selection of photos will also be shared on social media and online by Pro Photo Supply and by The Immigrant Story.
The Immigrant Story - Photo Contest
What we are looking for – Submitted images can tell a story about a recent immigrant, second generation family, or go back many generations to reference a person’s or family’s story about coming to the United States. Images might speak to this process of seeking out a new home here and the things that compelled them to do so, as well as the challenges and successes they found when they came.
Some suggested aspects of life to photograph could include: home life, celebration, family, work, community, education, leisure.
We encourage photographers of all levels to participate including students, amateurs and professional photographers.
To enter, complete an entry form with the required information
Photo Contest Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations
- Entrants should submit only photography.
- The limit for submitted works is 4 photos.
- Contest is open only to submissions of images taken within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
- Submissions will be accepted from February 1 through April 30, 2018 (12:00 midnight PST).
- The Submission, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant.
- Any post production on images should follow photojournalistic standards and involve only minor adjustments such as contrast, sharpness, white balance.
- Inappropriate photo manipulation may result in an image being disqualified.
- Watermarks are not acceptable.
- Each Submission must be the submitting entrant’s own, produced work and may not feature or focus on any material owned or controlled by third parties (unless the entrant can provide written documentation of permission to use any materials owned by a third party as set forth below or in a form and substance determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion).
- The entrant must provide upon request all appropriate clearances, permissions and releases (including but not limited to releases from all persons appearing in the Submission, location releases, and releases from all creative consultants or others who assisted in the creation of the Submission) for the Submission in a form and substance determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion (in the event an entrant cannot provide all required releases, Sponsor reserves the right, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, to disqualify the applicable Submission, or seek to secure the releases and clearances for Sponsor’s benefit, or allow the applicable Submission to remain in Contest)
- The Promotion Entities assume no responsibility or liability for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, theft or destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of Submissions.
- The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below.
- If selected, the entrant must supply a high-resolution file (300 pixel/inch) no smaller than 10 inches in the shortest dimension (3000 pixels), within one week of notification.
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit — including ownership if applicable.
- If a photograph to enter the Photo Contest is submitted, the entrant grants The Immigrant Story a royalty-free, non-exclusive right to:
- Display the photograph on ‘our’ sites, and ‘our partners’ sites.
- Allow third-parties to share the photograph on social media.
- Use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in The Immigrant Story’s internal and external communications materials including but not limited to web sites and web publications, fact sheets, fundraising publications, advertising, multimedia, presentation and membership services, and annual report.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for The Immigrant Story use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, videos, membership premiums, and the like.
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications
- Retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the photo library and accessible to staff via the Conservancy internal online.
- The images will be selected by a panel of judges and their decision is final. No correspondence pertaining to the selection process and decision will be entertained.
- The panel of judges will evaluate the images based on the following criteria:
- Artistic/visual appeal.
- Extent to which the photograph captures the essence of the theme.
- The judging panel reserves the right not to select images that do not meet the requirements stated in this document.
- If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- Upon Sponsor’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request) a signed release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the Submission, authorizing Sponsor and its licensees (“Authorized Parties”) to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the Submission in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Contest and selection of an alternate winner.
- Similarly, upon Sponsor’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request) a signed written license from the copyright owner of any sculpture, artwork, or other copyrighted material that appears in the Submission, authorizing any Authorized Party to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the Submission in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
- Finally, upon Sponsor’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s request) a signed written license from the owner of any private property included in the Submission, authorizing any Authorized Party to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the Submission in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
- Entries and the persons depicted therein are restricted to works for which the entrant holds the copyright or for the use of which the entrant has received the prior permission of the right holder.
- The entrant is responsible for taking all steps necessary to protect the rights of persons depicted, including but not limited to obtaining their permission.
- Entrants are responsible for the resolution of any legal issues arising from their works and agree to pay any costs thereby incurred.
- The organizer reserves the right to disallow entries that depict brand logos or other intellectual property, whether on signs or posters or in other forms, or that in its judgment are harmful to the public order, violate standards of decency or are contrary to the goals of the contest.
- Entrants must hold all applicable rights to the final image, including any retouching or other image processing.
- Entrants will not be notified of receipt of their entries. Please note that the organizer will not respond to inquiries concerning their receipt.
- Entering the contest constitutes agreement to the terms and conditions stated in these Entry Guidelines.
- The organizer reserves the right of final judgment concerning items not expressly stated in these Entry Guidelines. Entrants who do not consent to the organizer’s decisions may withdraw from the contest.
- Once submitted, entries will not be returned to entrants under any circumstances, even if they are later withdrawn.
- Please note that the organizer may elect to suspend or postpone receipt of any or all entries if in its judgment the contest cannot be run smoothly, securely or without affecting the fairness of the judging due to circumstances beyond its control, including but not limited to network failure, computer viruses or unauthorized access to its servers.
- Please note that when a winning work is used for exhibitions and the like stated below, due to circumstances concerning printing or otherwise, the tone or expressed meaning may not be strictly reproduced according to the winner’s intent.
- Please note that no response shall be given to any inquiries or complaints regarding the judges’ decisions.
- Although entries are handled with the greatest possible care, the organizer does not accept responsibility for accidents, damage or loss during upload.
- The organizer does not accept responsibility for damages arising from or related to circumstances beyond its control, including but not limited to network failure, computer viruses or unauthorized access to its servers.
- Save where they are due to the organizer’s malice or gross negligence, the organizer does not accept liability for damages or other harm suffered by entrants as a result of their participation in the contest.
- Entrants are required to obtain the prior permission and consent of the persons who are portrayed in their works or who hold the copyright or other intellectual property rights to the works or the items portrayed therein.
- Entrants agree to fully indemnify the organizer and accept all responsibility for any third-party complaints or objections concerning copyright or other intellectual property rights infringement or damages arising from the works submitted.
- The organizer reserves the right to publish all entries onto websites and social networking service accounts related to the contest after the first round of judging. Some entries may be cropped for publication.
- The organizer, etc. will display the names of the winners and the titles of the winning entries on contest-related websites and public social networking service accounts, at exhibitions, and in other locations where the works are shown. Entrants are requested to familiarize themselves with the “Personal Information” below.
- The organizer, etc. may: (a) display the winning entries in whole or in part on websites or public social networking service accounts under its administration, with the addition of graphical effects, sound effects or music; and (b) employ the winning entries in whole or in part in the creation of posters, tickets and pamphlets promoting photo exhibitions and other events. The winners agree not to exercise moral rights to works so used.
- Entries that in the judgment of the organizer do not conform to these Entry Guidelines will be disqualified. Entrants will not be notified in this event.
- In the event that a winner is found to be disqualified after a prize is awarded, the award may be revoked and the entrant requested to return the prize.
- When submitting works to the contest, the entrant must include an entry form that provides accurate personal information to the organizer. The decision whether or not to provide this information lies with the entrant. Entries that do not contain the required information will not be accepted.
Use of Personal Information
- Personal information provided by entrants may be used as required to:
- notify winners of the results
- provide entrants with information about the contest
- correspond with entrants about their submissions
- announce the winning entries
- generate general contest statistics
- send out questionnaires about the contest
If you have any questions or feedback, click here