Shimoda Core Unit Small DSLR
The Small Core Unit is a simple insert with a multitude of uses. It is designed to be used on its own or in combination with up to three additional Core Units to expand the amount of protected equipment space in a Shimoda pack or roller as more camera gear is needed. Breaking down the equipment protection into modules allows the user to minimize weight and bulk and to never carry more padded sections than is needed for the day’s camera kit. The inserts can be configured to allow simultaneous rear, side and top access to the camera kit, and to customize the bag to a user’s shooting style and the terrain ahead of them.
The Small Core Unit includes a multi-purpose skin designed to be light and packable. The Skin’s primary function is as a storage case for the padded Core Unit. When gear is at home and not in use, the skin keeps it sealed inside the Core Unit and dust free. Its secondary function is as a packing cell. A user can fill it with clothing or other common items and pack it in their backpack or carry-on roller. The third function is to act as a shoulder bag, allowing a camera kit to be packed into the Small Core Unit and carried on a quick hike out of basecamp or a casual walk around a city while traveling.
- Mirrorless/DSLR Camera Fit - Designed to hold a mirrorless or non-gripped DSLR body with a mounted lens up to 70-200mm 2.8. It can optionally hold 2-3 lenses and accessories.
- Modular Configurations - Core Units allow for side, rear and top access configurations, and they can be mixed and matched to increase or decrease camera capacity as needed. This system ensures you never carry more padding and weight than absolutely necessary to protect the day’s camera kit, and that all remaining pack space can be dedicated to clothing and personal gear.
- Lightweight Water-Resistant & Multi-purpose Skin - The included Skin’s primary function is a storage case for the padded Core Units, ideal for when your gear is at home and not in use. It keeps the Core Unit sealed and dust free. Its secondary function is to use as a packing cell. A user can fill it with clothing or other common items and pack it in their backpack or carry-on roller. The Small Skin includes an adjustable strap to use it as a convenient, lightweight shoulder bag for a quick hike out of basecamp or a walk around a new city.
- EVA Protective Shell and Dividers - Walls and dividers are constructed with EVA which ensures much greater protection than cheaper PE foams used in most camera bags. With EVA we have greater control over the density and quality of materials used to protect your gear. It also means our walls can be thinner and use less internal volume while still providing superior protection.
- Minimalist Construction - The Jersey exterior shell and Tricot lining are laminated to the EVA. By tightening up and simplifying the design in this way, we can eliminate any sloppiness and movement with dividers. The shape of the actual divider tabs has a unique inward taper. This simple concept makes setting up and adjusting the Core Unit much easier by limiting the catching of the fastener and the pulling on the sidewall material.