Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S
For those who bring us legendary moments from the field, we present the ultimate lens for the job. The reach to put you in the middle of the action, plus a built-in teleconverter to get even closer. The speed, versatility and accuracy of an f/2.8 aperture to ensure you don't need a second chance. Masterpiece optics that capture intense moments with immense details. All in a balanced, lightweight, brilliantly designed lens made possible by Nikon's Z mount. Pair it with the Z 9, and you have the most formidable sports, action and wildlife kit in Nikon history.
Without ever taking your eyes off your subject, breaking posture or losing focus position, flip the smooth teleconverter switch and transform the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S to a 560mm f/4 lens. Extra reach is right at your fingertips.
Shoot wide open at 400mm to freeze action with faster shutter speeds, isolate your subject against a compressed background, gather more light indoors or outdoors under lights or just to create truly spectacular bokeh.
Nikon’s new Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor (VCM) uses magnets instead of gears to move the lens focus groups. This design simultaneously delivers higher initial speed, higher accuracy and the smoothest, most silent operation of any Nikon AF drive system. Additionally, vibration within the mechanism has been reduced with an innovative guide bar and minimal space between moving parts, allowing for maximum speed during autofocus.
- Silky Swift VCM is utilized for NIKKOR Z lenses as an AF drive motor. This system simultaneously achieves higher speed, higher accuracy and quieter operation. Each of these factors far surpasses conventional systems, and as for the “quietness” specifically, drive sound is intensively suppressed to an almost-silent level. Even heavy lenses can be controlled accurately at high speed, with minimal noise or vibration, enabling users to reliably capture sharply focused images. Extremely quiet AF operation is specifically advantageous for shooting in places where silence is required and for video recording. WARNING: Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.
- ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) Glass is an optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Super ED Glass also developed by Nikon features even lower dispersion properties and extremely high performance in reducing the secondary spectrum, to minimize chromatic aberration even further, as well as other lens aberrations.
- Short-Wavelength Refractive Lens SR is a high- and specialized-dispersion glass lens that refracts light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. By controlling short-wavelength light, the lens is able to achieve highly precise chromatic aberration compensation so that the colors in your images are more accurately reproduced. It also allows for more flexible optical designs, which allows for compact, lighter lenses to be designed.
- Fluorite Lens Element (FL), a lightweight mono-crystal optical material, has excellent optical properties while reducing overall lens weight to improve balance and handling, especially useful in longer focal length lenses.
- Vibration Reduction is a Nikon in-lens technology that improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. Lenses that offer VR will feature the abbreviation VR on the lens barrel.
- Meso Amorphous Coat realizes the highest anti-reflection performance in NIKKOR history. Meso Amorphous Coat provides an effect superior to that of Nano Crystal Coat for diagonal incident light, and an effect equivalent or superior to ARNEO Coat for vertical incident light. With its superb performance, ghost and flare caused by incident light from various directions are noticeably reduced, delivering clear images even under harsh conditions. *With this coating system, amorphous particles, that are even smaller than nano particles, are utilized to create even more gaps within the coating to form an ultra-fine mesoporous structure, attaining a lower refractive index. In addition, a higher-precision base coat is employed to further enhance the anti-reflection effect.
- Fluorine Coat for photographers that need gear that can withstand the elements. Nikon’s fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease or dirt, ensuring easy removal even when they adhere to the lens surface. Nikon’s fluorine coat endures a high frequency of lens surface wiping and its anti-reflective effect also contributes to the capture of clear images.
- ARNEO Coat is an anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon and used in conjunction with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghost and flare effects caused by incident light entering the lens vertically. This allows for the outstandingly clear capture of images even when a light source is located within the frame.
- IF Lens is a NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism is an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting.